It was with some sadness that I read recently of the "functional" extinction of the Yangtze River Dolphin. I had a look at several news sites on the Internet. One in particular annoyed me. Not so much the editorial as the comments.
Someone had left a comment saying that extinction is happening all the time and that it is a part of natural selection and that the dolphin's extinction was just the result of its inability to adapt and therefore a necessary result of its unsuitability for survival. Survival of the fittest.
I wanted to make a long sarcastic reply, framed in business terms, about market economies and making room at the top for new blood, and how the dolphin had a fair crack of the whip but after twenty million years had failed to achieve results, and that therefore natural selection demanded that it be removed. That there are, as they say, two types of businesses; the quick, and the dead.
I also wanted to make a comment how other species were failing to be seen in China because of pollution and their inability to adapt to it, and the consequent fact that they were unfit and weak: that they were absent because they couldn't compete in the industrial landscape of modern China. I mean of course Olympic athletes.
It doesn't matter how aggressive, get-ahead, and cunning you are, it doesn't lessen the pity of something living that is lost for ever for no good reason, whether it is a natural process or not. What a tosser.
Thursday, 9 August 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
arrogant prick!
(the tosser, not you of course)
i often ponder such matters, more along the lines of how the last survivor feels, and if they know. how utterly sad and awful
have you become extinct too.....?
sniffle
oh
boo hoo hoo
:0(
Ahah. I've just upgraded my haloscan account so that I can read my comments again and thats when I spotted your posts.
To be honest, I've been busy and therefore not posting much for ages. A few of us just went along to Hyde Park for the end of the Proms and I've decided to see it I can restart the blog with a few posts from a crowd-pleasing set at that concert.
I've set a high limit of comments as a request for me to post the other track I have on my phone, though I doubt whether I'll get five.
I hope the guitar is twanging nicely and that the men with the spreadsheets are suitably distant.
I'll ping rashbre too, as you suggested.
Shine on.
ping
Slightly more time tonight to drop a comment. I'm wondering if the 'Gone' post is in some way sending a message or whether there's just an excitingly long gap between the posts?
I've been living without proper carpets and walls for the last few weeks but am now emerging back into a world of comfortable, if incorrectly configured sofas.
So I shall look forward to lounging and reading a few of your musings over the next few weeks....
regards,
rasbre
i....sniffle......miss.....sniffle.....yooo..hoo..hooo..hoooo
:)
wonder who/where/what you are now...
Post a Comment