Tuesday, 24 July 2007

Twinkle twinkle little star

A couple of nights ago I was staring up into the night sky when I saw a flash of light. It was in, or around, the position of the star Theta Aquilae. At first I guessed it must have been a spinning satellite that flickered, but it wasn't; it was a singular event. Very bright too.

So was it an iridium flare or not? It didn't appear to move; that's the trouble. Most satellites I see are sustained across some portion of the sky, or at least a flashing trail a little bit like a slow high white aeroplane.

I had seen an extremely fast meteor shortly before, heading in a Southerly direction. Obviously the radiant would be different but it did occur to me that this might also have been a meteor that just happened to be aimed directly at me.

Or maybe it was something altogether stranger.

1 comment:

Inconsequential said...

:)

Somewhat random, but it made me think of New England...bragg or McCall...

She was better...

Hello.